Muslim Women Connect are delighted to launch cohort five of our flagship mentoring programme. We have seen many successful mentoring relationships thrive since 2017 and our mentees have gone on to achieve incredible successes.
We encourage potential mentors and mentees to spend some time reading this page, and welcome your applications.
How does the programme work?
Successful mentee applicants are paired with a Muslim woman as a mentor who will work with them on their personal and professional development with the overall aim of supporting and advancing the mentee’s career goals and achievements.
Duration: January – June 2021
6 months = 6 mentoring sessions + 3 masterclasses
Eligibility: mentees must be Muslim women, 18+ and living in the UK.
Considerations: mentoring sessions will take place remotely (unless otherwise agreed by the mentoring pair if government COVID-19 guidelines allow face-to-face meetings).
The aims of the mentoring programme are to:
- Provide support and guidance to Muslim women early in their career
- Encourage personal and professional growth
- Instil high aspirations and ambition in mentees alongside self-compassion and self-care
- Nurture mentees to embody values important to MWC
A note on access:
We encourage everyone who fulfils our eligibility criteria to apply, including those with access concerns.
We understand that not everyone has access to reliable wifi or their own device and that applicants may have additional needs that may make participation challenging.
We will happily work with you to make sure your needs are met and that you are able to gain the full benefits of the programme.
If you know someone you believe will benefit from our programme but has accessibility concerns or additional needs, please get in touch with us and we will do our best to make the necessary adjustments!
How do we choose mentees?
The application form must be completed before the deadline of Monday 21 December, 11am.
With reference to the programme’s aims, MWC will be assessing mentee applications to find:
- who will benefit most from the focus of the programme;
- who will make the most of the opportunity provided by the programme, demonstrated through dedication to their own development, the development of the community and to the values embodied by MWC.
We are not looking for you to tick certain boxes in terms of what you have already achieved or wish to achieve – we want to hear from real women who believe they will benefit from a mentor. We want to hear your authentic voices and personalities, so don’t feel pressured to submit a ‘perfect’ application.
Just take a deep breath, say bismillah and apply!
How do we choose mentors?
Eligibility: Mentors must be Muslim women who feel established in their career and ready to provide support and guidance to their mentee.
A mentor will:
- Nurture their mentee’s development through discussion and reflection;
- Signpost their mentee to relevant opportunities and resources;
- Suggest ideas the mentee may not have previously considered;
- Review action plans or other work completed by the mentee and suggest improvements.
MWC will be assessing mentor applications in terms of:
- who will be able to best fulfil the aims of the programme;
- who understands the empathy, patience and compassion needed in a mentoring relationship.
Mentors must demonstrate commitment and concern for their mentee’s development. Mentors must also commit to:
- providing 6 mentoring sessions for their mentee over the 6-month programme duration
- completing a monthly feedback form to monitor their mentee’s progress
- Submit your application form by Monday 21 December, 11am.
- We aim to contact all applicants within two weeks of the application deadline to let them know the outcome of their application. You can expect to hear from us by Sunday 3 January.
- Successful applicants will then be invited to a training and induction session.
- After attending the compulsory training and induction, you will be put in touch with your mentor or mentee and mentoring begins!